Thursday, April 25, 2024

Terminus [Doctor Who, Story 126]

 

Terminus by Steve Gallagher
15 - 23 February 1983
 

I knew very little about this story going in except that it marked Nyssa's departure from the cast. Accordingly, I was a little surprised to recognize Steve Gallagher, who previously wrote Season 18's Warriors' Gate, which was one of my favorite stories of the marathon so far.

The resemblances are few but relatively obvious, particularly between the Garm and the Tharils of the earlier story, but the story that Terminus is trying to tell is somewhat different in the broad strokes. Terminus, Inc., and the fate of both its "patients" and the slave guards set to watch over them, seem like a take down of the for-profit medical industry. Right on, says I. But I'm really not sure where the big bang bootstrap paradox or the threat of universal destruction really fit into that picture; just seemed like a way of ratcheting up the stakes to me.

I must regretfully say that none of the guest characters are very interesting here. Olvir and Kari, who help the TARDIS team, seemed pretty unimportant to the story overall, particularly in the latter case. Bor, the Vanir who goes into the danger zone and almost succumbs to his sickness, probably comes the closest to having an interesting performance. It's unfortunate that Eirak, the erstwhile leader of the Vanir, enters the story so late and is used so sparingly. A good villain might be the missing ingredient that Terminus really needed.

All things considered, I thought it also took slightly too long to actually get to Terminus and start digging into the plot. The pacing in general was a little rough, though once the story got to Terminus things did get pretty interesting.

Regarding our regular cast, the Doctor was on fine form and I thought Tegan came across well, too. But the real star of the show is Mark Strickson as Turlough, who is already making a strong impression. He's good at conveying both fear and quiet thoughtfulness; one gets the feeling that there's a lot going on in Turlough's head all the time, something we're told outright in the next serial. He's given this team a desperately needed shot in the arm.

About Nyssa, I feel like I have less to say than I would like. In what should be her finest hour, on the eve of her departure, she seems to instead spend most of the story being put in peril, captured, and jerked around. It's only in the final episode or so that she really starts to take charge of anything. I do find her motive for departure somewhat understandable, though still disappointing. I'll have more to say about Nyssa at the end of this era during the companion roundup.

With all that said, Terminus is almost a really interesting story in the vein of Gallagher's other Doctor Who contribution, but seems to be continually let down by the pacing, direction, and casting choices. I wish I could like it more, but as it is, it's merely okay.

Enlightenment is next.

 (Modified from the original posted at Gallifrey Base on 25 April 2024.)

No comments:

Post a Comment