Sunday, March 21, 2021

The Web of Fear [Doctor Who, Story 41]

The Web of Fear by Mervyn Haisman & Henry Lincoln
3 February - 9 March 1968

This was an interesting watch. We have had sequels and pseudo-sequels in the course of the program so far, but this one feels a bit different. Possibly the short distance between this story and the last Yeti serial is why. I feel that just the right time passed between The Abominable Snowmen and this story. It also helps having Jack Watling back as Travers. I hadn't really gotten enough of him by the end of the previous Yeti story, and seeing him react to seeing Jamie and Victoria again for the first time in forty years is quite lovely.

Oh yeah... forty years. This story takes place ~1975. I bet this has never come up in the fandom and that, in fact, nobody has any reason to wonder how the timeframe of this story fits with episodes featuring an older Lethbridge-Stewart. Carrying on.

Talking of whom, it is very nice to see Nicholas Courtney again! Here is his first turn as this particular character, and it's very amusing to see the story treat the future Brig like a complete stranger. I had a little laugh when I realized the story was introducing the possibility that he might be the traitor under the Intelligence's influence. There's one story point which future knowledge does just outright spoil. He is instantly more charismatic than any of the other soldiers, though. One gets the feeling that Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart is going places.

I was likewise quite taken with Anne Travers, who feels like a very modern character. When asked "What's a girl like you doing in a job like this?" her dry response of "Well, when I was a little girl I thought I'd like to be a scientist, so I became a scientist," won a bit of a grin from me. Given her inquiring mind and previous association with the Doctor's world (through her father the Professor), I really do feel like she might have been companion material. This is the second time the Doctor has failed to pick up someone named Anne. Am I detecting some sort of Ann-imosity?

As far as the villains go, the Great Intelligence and its minions are much more convincing on their second outing than the first, lethal foam notwithstanding. The Yeti redesign, while less cuddly, must have been scarier for the younger demographic, though I must say that I'm unsure why they felt the need to give them guns. They're already multi-ton robots with claws, it just seems like overkill. The Intelligence itself is creepy, and the idea that it could be controlling anyone in the Underground as its unwitting pawn is a chilling one. I confess, I fell for the bait and suspected Chorley; the Arnold twist caught me off guard, and I thought it was done effectively.

I do come away from this, however, suspecting that the entire 2005 revival is one big BBC Wales revenge plot in reprisal for Driver Evans. Can't say I blame them, really.

Other highlights include those London Underground sets, which are phenomenal; the score, which once again makes use of that "Space Adventure" track the Cybermen love so much; and of course, Anne cheekily postulating that Jamie and Victoria might have been "mushrooming" in the tunnels. 1968, everyone.

All in all, this is a solid addition to the season, and I think Haisman and Lincoln have acquitted themselves well after the rather boring Abominable Snowmen. I could see this one growing on me after some rewatches.

Before Fury from the Deep, we will be taking a short digression out of the televised world. Come with me now, down The Dark Path.

(Modified from the original posted at Gallifrey Base on 9 March 2021.)

No comments:

Post a Comment