Thursday, April 22, 2021

Terror of the Zygons [Doctor Who, Story 80]

Terror of the Zygons by Robert Banks Stewart
30 August - 20 September 1975​

It's funny that the Zygons only had this one appearance in the Classic run. They have always struck me as such an iconic alien, with an interesting design and concept. It's nice that they've returned a couple times now in the new series, though I must say that, for example, the Capaldi Zygon story handles them with a bit more subtlety than this maiden outing does. But Terror of the Zygons is not about subtlety in the slightest. This is more like The Daemons, a rather silly romp, albeit a tremendously well staged and performed one. We can term it theme park Doctor Who, I guess: great fun, but, to borrow a Scottish phrase, nothing to set the heather alight!

Douglas Camfield is back on the directorial beat for the first time since he fell ill during Inferno, and he has been sorely missed. His direction is always well-paced and is particularly good at framing action scenes. I particularly like that opening sequence, with the exploding oil rig backlit by the moon and covered in smoke. The scene where the duplicate Harry is attacking Sarah in the barn was also very striking, even a bit scary.

The Zygons themselves are executed beautifully, and are easily the most grotesque and visually intriguing aliens put on the program so far. Their ability to disguise themselves as anyone makes them a formidable enemy (in theory) and I imagine they must have scared the young ones of the time. That Part One cliffhanger certainly gives me that impression, anyway.

As this is the last time we'll see the Brigadier in his natural habitat, it seems fitting to remark on his departure from the regular cast. Lethbridge-Stewart has endured over the decades as one of the most iconic Doctor Who characters, and for good reason, as Nicholas Courtney was a sterling performer, and his character always a reassuring presence. This definitely seems like the right point to part ways with him, however. In the few episodes they've shared together, I never felt that he had the same chemistry with Baker's Doctor as he did with Pertwee's. Furthermore, after a few seasons of slowly winding the UNIT stuff down and returning to the original format of the series, this seems like the right point for that transition to be completed.

This is also more or less our goodbye for Harry Sullivan, who will briefly appear later this season, but in a bit part. He's an unusual companion, clearly chosen and written for a different Fourth Doctor than the one we actually got. Marter is charming though, and I found Harry fun, if a bit under-written. It might have been nice to have him around longer to counterbalance Sarah and the Doctor, but really, it was nice just having him period.

I've had a devil of a time writing this one for some reason, so... what else? I like the bit where the Doctor reassures the fake Duke, "I'm not a party to any kind of nonsense, Your Grace," while putting his hat on an armor stand. I like the amusing touch of the Brigadier addressing the PM as "madam" - a woman prime minister in 1980? Yeah, like that would happen! I like how Sarah is reassured Harry's the real thing as soon as he says "old girl". Basically, I like Terror of the Zygons, I think. Loads of fun.

I'll need to get my coat and my anti-antimatter spray, because next I'm due a visit to the Planet of Evil.

(Modified from the original posted at Gallifrey Base on 20 April 2021.)

No comments:

Post a Comment