Saturday, August 19, 2023

Arc of Infinity [Doctor Who, Story 123]

Arc of Infinity by Johnny Byrne
3 - 12 January 1983​

We've arrived in Doctor Who's landmark 20th anniversary season. Last time we marked such an occasion, Season 10 delivered a series of stories that I considered some of the strongest the program had seen so far. The same might or might not prove to be the case for Season 20, but I'm determined to keep an open mind.

You can tell it's an anniversary because we have a deep cut throwback villain this week, who last appeared in The Three Doctors back in 1973. But oddly enough, I was more focused on future omens than past callbacks, as I was caught pointing and going "Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!" at my screen every time Colin Baker appeared as Maxil. It's always a bit funny seeing a Doctor before they're a Doctor. Hard to believe that I'm already just a short time away from his own tenure.

But as for the actual villain of the piece, I thought Omega was fine, albeit diminished from his original stature. In part because of the costume, which in my opinion doesn't have a patch on his last one. He still works as an ultimately tragic and self-destructive figure whose downfall is of his own devising, which always suits this show well. I enjoy it when the Doctor tries to help to save a villain, whether it works or not. His turn with Peter Davison's face was also quite interesting. The subtle emotion that Davison puts into those non-verbal moments of Omega exploring the city were quite affecting.

Following in the steps of The Deadly Assassin and The Invasion of Time, the Doctor's worst enemy is once again the blundering of his own people, who seem only too eager to set him up for the crime despite his past services. I confess that I find it a bit ungratifying that the Doctor does not tell them "I told you so" at the end of the story, but perhaps he just found it beneath him.

Also of note is Tegan's return, which comes fast enough to make us wonder why she was left behind in the first place. She does get to approach the TARDIS with a new attitude now, though, no longer the hijacked stewardess and now along for the trip more or less by choice. It is a refreshing change, but we shall see how it plays out.

It was also fun to be outside of Britain for once. I don't know that I'd ever have known what Amsterdam looked like in the Eighties otherwise. It certainly made for a nice break from the by now familiar brightly-lit space sets.

All in all, a decent but unremarkable story. Having liked Kinda so much, I'm eager to get on to Snakedance next. See you then.

(Modified from the original posted at Gallifrey Base on 18 August 2023.)

No comments:

Post a Comment