Tuesday, May 28, 2024

The Hollows of Time [Doctor Who, Diversion 42]

 The Hollows of Time by Christopher H. Bidmead
18 February 2010


In keeping with the first two stories of this lost season, The Hollows of Time also brings back recurring villains. In this case it's the Tractators and the Gravis, and... hm... what was that fellow's name again?

The continued usage of recurring villains is unsurprising in light of the continuity-laden Season 22, but I have already sort of gotten tired of it. Having a story in Leviathan where there were no recurring characters (albeit in a rather familiar setting) was somewhat refreshing. I didn't dock points from The Hollows of Time for having these recurring elements yet again - mostly because I rather like Bidmead's writing - but I am raising my eyebrow and wondering how many more of the others will do the same.

Taking place principally in a small English town, it is interesting and a little refreshing to see the Sixth Doctor interact with everyday people. Ones that aren't aliens, at any rate. Scenes like the jumble sale, or Mrs. Streeter fussing over Reverend Foxwell, or the Doctor getting stuck in a rose bush are all quite charming.

The guest cast are a little more memorable than Leviathan's, but whether for good or ill is in the eye of the beholder, I'm sure. A young boy named Simon is the most constant companion to the Doctor and Peri through this story, and a lot of the negative reviews I've read mentioned how annoying he was. Child characters don't really faze me, so my experience wasn't the same as theirs. Just the same, I did slap my forehead a few times when he manages to get them into trouble.

Foxwell and his supposed former Bletchley Park colleague "Professor Stream" call to mind The Curse of Fenric, particularly the latter's story of losing the use of his legs after a sporting accident. I wonder if concepts from this were reused?

The Tractators end up being more of a plot device in the end, with the conflict principally surrounding Stream's attempts to hijack the Doctor's TARDIS, first by way of his red herring chauffeur android, and then himself once the mask comes off. I admit, with some small shame, that my first suspicion when I heard about a car traveling in the time vortex was, "Drax?" I really am too far gone. I was on the right track once I heard "My dear Doctor..."

The story is framed as an imperfect recollection of the Doctor's and Peri's after the completion of the adventure, with narrative inserts inside the TARDIS. Due to the necessary decision to never properly reveal the real identity of "Stream", this lends some ambiguity to the story that probably helps it overall in the end. It's a mess, but an intriguing one. I'd probably call it my favorite of this pseudo-season so far.

That's it for now. Paradise 5 is next.

(Modified from the original posted at Gallifrey Base on 29 May 2024.)

No comments:

Post a Comment