Monday, May 13, 2024

The Mark of the Rani [Doctor Who, Story 139]

 The Mark of the Rani by Pip & Jane Baker
2 - 9 February 1985


I don't know what it says about me that the first thing I said to myself was: "Is that a new cat pin?" Sure enough, Sixie has changed his out since Vengeance. It's good to know that my powers of observation have turned me toward productive ends.

The next thing I noticed was that Peri, while still not much of a fully-realized character or anything crazy like that, seems noticeably happier and has more personality in this story than usual. I note that this is one of the rare Who stories to actually be both written (by Jane Baker) and directed (by Sarah Hellings) by women, and wonder if that might have something to do with it. The last (also first) time this happened was with Enlightenment, written by Barbara Clegg and directed by Fiona Cumming, where Tegan notably got more to do than usual and some more focused writing. I may be imagining things, but it was nice to see Peri smile a little more and reveal her interests for what feels like the first time, when she talks about conservation and the chopping down of English hedgerows toward the start of the first episode.

There are still plenty of risible moments where she is concerned, of course. Here I'm thinking of the cliffhanger, where she accidentally pushes the Doctor's cart the wrong way and sends him rolling down a hill! (I thought it was pretty funny, but I can't fib and say it was a flattering character moment.) And toward the end of the story, when asked what she and the Doctor do in the TARDIS, the Doctor remarks wryly, "Argue, mainly." Don't say that like it's a good thing!

This is not the Master's most edifying hour, coming into the story disguised as a scarecrow with one of his most bonkers plans yet. (Still, it must be said, not quite as bonkers as the one from The King's Demons.) I wonder what fan's thoughts were at the time after his seeming death in the previous season? "Oh, not him again"? His presence does distract from the new villain a bit, but I did find his rapport and banter with her fairly entertaining.

Speaking of whom, Kate O'Mara is absolutely wonderful. I think it's a pity that her part here is a little underwritten and she doesn't get much time to be a true threat to the Doctor. It would have been for the best to withhold the Master and give her more room to get into conflict with the protagonists. Just the same, I enjoyed every moment she was on screen. Her dramatic exit with the T. rex embryos growing in her TARDIS got a real laugh out of me.

I've heard that Mr. and Mrs. Baker are known for their excessively verbose dialogue, but I was more thrown off by the Northumbrian dialect of the miners, which was at times a little difficult for my delicate Yankee ears to parse. BritBox subtitles came through for me on that front. The historical setting is an intriguing one, though I was forced to ask myself just how well-known George Stephenson really was, as I'd never heard of him before this. Is he more popular in his native Britain perhaps?

But do you know what the really odd thing is? Despite all the quibbles and the plot basically being held together by string, I really, really enjoyed this. It's inoffensive, it's cute, and it has a bit of manic energy to it that I'd take over Attack of the Cybermen any day. I can't bring myself to give it a negative review.

Is it already another anniversary year? The Two Doctors is next.

(Modified from the original posted at Gallifrey Base on 13 May 2024.)

No comments:

Post a Comment