Saturday, June 25, 2022

Inauguration - End of Whovangelion, or: A Cruel PM's Thesis


Somewhere out there in the broader multiverse, there is a world where Doctor Who went on into the Nineties, where whether through luck or pluck it managed to keep limping on in an increasingly different and hostile television environment. We don't live in that world. In our world, bum luck and a couple of poor decisions doomed the show to go off the air right at the end of its third calendar decade. As of the latest point in my marathon, the show still seems to be hugely popular, so it's a little shocking to think that in just a few short seasons that will have reversed entirely.

However, I know better than to think that the show is bad when it's unpopular, and I'm terribly excited to explore what the so-called "JNT Era" has to offer. I have already seen all of Sylvester McCoy's episodes, but Peter Davison's and Colin Baker's tenures are a huge blank for me. Filling in this gap and completing Classic Who will be a big win for me.

The Cities Made of Song posts will be a scarcer species (in fact, the only one I have definitely planned is the one for 1981) but audios, books, and other extended media will continue to make regular appearances.

I'm very excited to get started. The Leisure Hive will kick things off next.

(Modified from the original posted at Gallifrey Base on 7 October 2021.)

No comments:

Post a Comment