Saturday, June 25, 2022

The Key to Time [Doctor Who, Season Sixteen, Stories 98 - 103]

The Key to Time
2 September 1978 - 24 February 1979

Well, this will be a bracing series of paragraphs, I can already tell. Why are all six of these stories clumped into one Frankenstein-ish post? Because I feel like it and I'm fresh back from a longer than average pause, that's why!

Coming into this season, I felt a mix of excitement and trepidation, but I at least knew I'd be off to a fairly solid start with The Ribos Operation. There is a certain level of quality implied in a Robert Holmes story, and I do feel like this one lives up to its positive fandom reputation. Among other important things, I got my first impression of "Romana I" through this story. Mary Tamm definitely gets a snobbish but likable character across successfully, and I got a strong first impression from this particular version of Romana.

The titular setting is a memorable one, with a distinct visual style right from the beginning, and some fascinating lore that unfolds throughout the course of the story. The guest cast is much celebrated by my fellow fans, and I can definitely see why. It took me an episode or so to really warm up to them, but I'll remember Binro the Heretic, the Graff Vynda-K, and Garron and Unstoffe fondly.

Holmes' usual wit is on display in moments like the one where the Doctor despairs the use of "gimmicky gadgets", which is an amusing position to take given that every gadget he ever uses is gimmicky, even K9.

I'll happily revisit this story again next time the fancy strikes me. It's a nice start that sets up the central storyline of this season well.

"He has departed, mistress."
"Well, that's obvious, but where?"
"To see a man about a dog."​

The Ribos Operation - 8.50
Part One - 9.00
Part Two - 8.00
Part Three - 8.00
Part Four - 9.00

-------------

The term "guilty pleasure" does not really apply to my feelings about The Pirate Planet, because there's really nothing guilty about it. Studious readers will remember that this is one of two stories this season that I've reviewed before, although my perspective on it this time around couldn't be more different than my last. In anticipation of watching this season, I recently read James Goss' new(ish) novelization of The Pirate Planet, and to be honest, I fell a bit in love with it. My rewatch a few weeks later only validated this change in perspective, and I felt like I saw it in a new light.

Honestly, its plot is still held together by duct tape in places, but it all builds toward a logical conclusion that felt satisfying to me. I like the concept of the wandering planet devouring others for their resources. I really like the Captain, Fibuli, and their banter. And even though at the time of my first review I felt like Tom wasn't giving this story his all, I could see that he was eating it up in places. This last might just be a result of me being more used to his usual Baker-isms and style of acting than I was last time. Romana endeared herself to me further through the greater ease with which she interacts with the locals, as contrasted with the Doctor. They're a smart duo, and this is where I started to enjoy their double act a lot.

There is a consistent wit to this story which, although more understated than Douglas Adams' other big Who writing credit, endeared this story to me immensely, and I just had fun all the way throughout. The Pirate Planet is a new favorite of mine and I don't care who knows it.

"Dross and baubles!"​

The Pirate Planet - 10.00
Part One - 10.00
Part Two - 10.00
Part Three - 10.00
Part Four - 10.00

-------------​

At the halfway point, this season was at a promising three-for-three. Although I didn't think it was as good as the previous two stories, my first impression of The Stones of Blood was a positive one. I was predisposed to it because of its callbacks to the occult and ancient Celtic history, and the first two episodes are powerfully moody and mysterious. I enjoyed the cheek of this story being, as far as I'm aware, the first to point out the impractical shoes that the female companions of this era often have. Doesn't save poor Romana from being the victim of both of the first two cliffhangers, though.

The Ogri are an interesting monster, but the Cailleach didn't really convince me as a final antagonist. It has to be said that the court procedural of the second half of the story doesn't land anywhere near as well as the story's more down-to-earth first half, but overall I still thought that the story had a pretty strong core idea and enough memorable moments to make it feel worthwhile.

"I'm more from what you would call inner time."​

The Stones of Blood - 8.25
Part One - 9.00
Part Two - 9.00
Part Three - 8.00
Part Four - 7.00

-------------

The Androids of Tara is a perfectly serviceable story. The setting is fairly vibrant and memorable, there's a good guest cast (hello again for the last time, Cyril Shaps!), and the plot holds together rather well. Just the same, I found it pretty hard to get invested. Aside from obtaining the Key segment for this planet, a task which is handled in a fairly perfunctory way, I couldn't find much reason to care about the core plot. It essentially comes down to a dispute over which particular feudal despot will be in charge at the end of the story, and I don't find the fact that Prince Reynart is nicer than Count Grendel to be a particularly compelling reason to care.

Don't let this give the impression that I dislike the story, of course. It just happens to fall into the territory of fairly ordinary average-to-good Who for me, with some cool effects and funny moments. Nothing I'd put on my heavy watch rotation, though.

"We don't want him too intelligent, Doctor. You can't trust androids, you know."
"It's funny, you know. That's what some androids say about people."​

The Androids of Tara - 7.00
Part One - 8.00
Part Two - 6.00
Part Three - 7.00
Part Four - 7.00

-------------​

The Matrix tells me that I once reviewed The Power of Kroll as well, though to be honest, I barely have any memory of that occasion which is now more than four years past. Well, aside from that massive puppet and the miniature shots. Although these effects are frequently chuckled at, I feel like they kind of work for the sort of story this is. I'm still skeptical about whether or not the People of the Lakes succeed as an allegory for native rights and the related issues, but it's a little heartening that Holmes and the production team at least made an attempt.

I feel like Philip Madoc is a little wasted on his side role in this story, but he is still good, and I enjoyed seeing John Leeson in-person for once. The backstory about the People of the Lakes and how they came to be on Delta III was quite interesting. Probably the most enjoyable moment of the serial for me is the one where the Doctor is rambling about the architecture of the room where he and his compatriots are about to die, which I thought was quite funny.

All around though, my estimation of this story diminished slightly since my first watch. With the benefit of greater context, this story feels much more average by comparison, and didn't leave me with a terribly strong impression, whether negative or positive. Basically, it's fine.

"I tried to persuade Ranquin that only Rohm-Dutt deserved to be punished by the seventh ritual and that you others should die by the first. That's very easy. They just throw you down the pit and drop rocks on you."
"Oh, thank you. It's nice to know who your friends are."​

The Power of Kroll - 6.50
Part One - 6.00
Part Two - 6.00
Part Three - 7.00
Part Four - 7.00

-------------​

I find it hard to be too harsh on The Armageddon Factor, but it is impossible to deny that the Key to Time arc ends on a bit of a bum note with this story. This is yet another instance of a Baker & Martin script with some cool core sci-fi ideas that get drowned in the realization. I was certain going in that this story would be an allegory for nuclear war, with more attention paid to the clearly long and punishing conflict between Atrios and Zeos. But this whole thread really gets lost in the mix with the focus of the story turning almost wholly to the search for the last segment.

This story does benefit from some decent side characters in the form of Shapp and the Marshal. The former in particular is played by an actor with a strong grasp of the physical aspects of a performance, and I noticed that he bounced off of Tom Baker well with visual gags and expressions. Drax is more mixed, since he comes in so late, but is at least amusing for what little time we get him. Princess Astra is unfortunately an underwhelming first outing for Lalla Ward, who I think gets underserved by the script here.

The Shadow is a pretty crap villain, far too generically evil without at least having the courtesy to go full screaming ham and keep things interesting. And timeloop plot aside (which I thought was executed in an interesting way) the ultimate resolution involved in discovering the true identity of the last segment and then thwarting the Black Guardian went off with not so much a bang as a resounding wet splat. It definitely cheapens the value of the previous five stories to have things end this way - but oh well.

A farewell in two parts to round up this story review, then. First, farewell to Mary Tamm, who I thought was splendid as Romana. It is a pity that we did not have her longer, and that she passed away when she did. I unfortunately did not pencil in any Romana I audios for this marathon, so this is the last time we will be seeing her for now.

The other thing we're seeing the last of are the traditional six-parters. As you all undoubtedly know, one was produced for Season 17 but never finished - so it doesn't really count. With one other notable exception, we won't see another story of this length in Classic Who. This is probably a good thing, as I've made a point of talking about before.

All in all, a fairly meh story to herald the departure of that format, with some promising ideas but underwhelming execution.

"To halt the hated Zeons in their tracks, wipe their presence from our skies, and free this land, this world, this Atrios..."
"This Blessed Plot!"
"Good! Good! ...this blessed plot from the terrors of war and the evils of pestilence!"
"Yes! ... No, I prefer the original."​

The Armageddon Factor - 5.83
Part One - 8.00
Part Two - 7.00
Part Three - 6.00
Part Four - 6.00
Part Five - 4.00
Part Six - 4.00

-------------

Although I quibbled with the stories in the latter half of this season, I still feel like this was a more successful and cohesive experience than Season Fifteen was. It's clear Graham Williams went into this with a specific vision, and even though it stumbled at the last hurdle, I feel that the overall tone of the season came across successfully.

It's hard to believe I still have two more seasons of Tom after this. Seven years sure are seven years, huh? I'm not eager to see him go or anything, but it is profoundly odd to spend this many episodes with the same Doctor. He's not tackling things with the same verve he was during the Hinchcliffe years, but it is clear that he still has that magnetic charisma during these later seasons that makes it impossible to take your eyes off him.

Here's the score break-- erm, no, hold on. Those are all further up on this post. Cut to commercials, please.

Best episode: The Pirate Planet, Part Four - 10.00
Runner-up: The Pirate Planet, Part One - 10.00
Worst episode: The Armageddon Factor, Part Six - 4.00

Season Sixteen average: 7.54

Best guest appearance: Beatrix Lehmann as Professor Rumford (The Stones of Blood)
Best special effect: The Ogri (The Stones of Blood)
Best musical score: The Ribos Operation (Dudley Simpson)

I'm excited to see what the last season of the Graham Williams era has in store. Destiny of the Daleks is next-erminate.

(Modified from the original posted at Gallifrey Base on 3 October 2021.)

No comments:

Post a Comment