Monday, December 18, 2023

[Holiday Hoopla 18] How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)

 

Watching How the Grinch Stole Christmas (dir. Ron Howard) was a bit of an odd experience, since I half-remembered the movie from seeing it in theaters back in 2000, when I was just a little Who myself. I remembered Jim Carrey's strange antics most of all, but also the terrifying baby Grinch puppet.

As far as adaptations of classic Christmas stories go, this is not a bad one at all. It can be a bit headache inducing in parts, especially in the overuse of Dutch angles seen throughout, but once I got used to them I was able to appreciate the set and costume design more. This movie is overflowing with imagination and wonder, and it hits the right emotional beats without feeling like a retread of the original.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment