Friday, December 8, 2023

[Holiday Hoopla 8] National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989)

 

Would you believe I've never seen this? I'm actually more familiar with Chevy Chase from The Three Amigos than from any of the Vacation movies. This is evidently one of my dad's favorites - and probably not coincidentally, one of Quinn's dad's favorites, too. Christmas Vacation is a dad movie from front to back, and the jokes reflect that. I've heard more than once that people of a certain age consider this the funniest movie of all time. It is actually pretty funny, but I suspect that newer generations' absurdist humor have long since outgrown this type of amusement.

It feels like this movie takes a little while to ramp up to full intensity, and I found the first two acts pretty hit or miss in general. The third act, though — that's properly hilarious. And that's where the heart of the movie is, too, and it lets up on the holiday pessimism to tell us what it's really all about.

We had fun watching it in spite of any nitpicks, though. Shout out to Beverly D'Angelo, whom I'm tentatively naming the best actor in this movie. Her expressions are phenomenal.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment